This 9 month, entry level tenure-track faculty position requires teaching graduate level research, assessment/evaluation, and higher education courses and advising graduate students. Research and service are also expected.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This tenure-track appointment at the assistant level involves teaching beginning and advanced graduate level research, assessment/evaluation, and higher education courses on two campuses. Mentoring, research and service are also expected. Applicants should include evidence of high quality teaching and also show potential for an active research program. The anticipated starting date is August 15, 2013 (Fall 2013 semester). Summer 2013 teaching may be available.
- Earned Ph.D. in social science or related field
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Indicators of abilities to engage in effective teaching and research.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with students and faculty from diverse backgrounds, programs, and colleges.
- Coursework and/or experience teaching assessment/evaluation/measurement, quantitative research methods, and/or higher education (such as finance, policy, human resources, curriculum)
Preference will be given to applicants who meet the requirements listed above and one or more of the following:
- Evidence of excellent teaching at the post-secondary level
- Experience mentoring student research
- Success with securing external funding
Additional University/Departmental Information:
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-extensive university that enrolls approximately 17,000 students each year. Southern Miss is the only dual-campus university in Mississippi, with campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, along with six additional research and teaching sites. Learn more about us at http://www.usm.edu/esr
Required Applicant Documents:
Cover Letter Curriculum Vitae Transcripts Contact Info for Three (3) References
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must apply at www4.usm.edu/hr/emp_app and upload (a) cover letter that explains qualifications and fit for the position, (b) current vita that details educational credentials/degrees, scholarly activity and teaching/mentoring experience, (c) letters from three references that address teaching potential, potential as an independent researcher, ability to successfully mentor students in research, and potential as a good departmental citizen, and (d) most current transcript. Submission of a sample publication and evidence of teaching excellence is optional.
Direct questions and any additional materials to Search Committee Chair: email@example.com