The University of Southern Mississippi is seeking applications for an Assistant Professor of Research, Evaluation, Statistics, and Assessment
This nine-month, entry-level, tenure-track faculty position in the Department of Educational Studies and Research requires teaching beginning and advanced graduate-level statistics classes, as well as assessment/evaluation, measurement and research courses; and mentoring, research and service, including advising and serving on dissertation committees are also expected. Applicants should provide evidence of high-quality teaching and potential for an active research program. The anticipated starting date is August 15, 2015 (fall 2015 semester). Summer 2015 teaching may be available.
Duties include the following:
- Effective teaching of beginning and advanced graduate students enrolled in statistics, assessment/evaluation, measurement and research courses on two campuses
- Mentoring graduate students and service to the program and department, including advising and serving on dissertation committees
- The successful candidate is also expected to be research-active and is expected to seek external funding to help support his/her research efforts.
1. Earned Ph.D. in social science or closely related field
2. Strong written and oral communication skills
3. Indicators of abilities to engage in effective teaching and research
4. Evidence of ability to work effectively and collegially with faculty and with students, including those from underserved populations, from diverse backgrounds, programs and colleges
5. At least 18 hours coursework in statistics, assessment/evaluation, measurement and quantitative research methods
Preference will be given to applicants who meet the requirements listed above and one or more of the following:
1. Evidence of effective teaching at the post-secondary level
2. Experience mentoring student research
3. Success with securing external funding
Applicants must upload (1) cover letter that explains qualifications and fit for the position, (2) current vita that details educational credentials/degrees, scholarly activity and teaching/mentoring experience, (3) contact information for three references who can address teaching potential, potential as an independent researcher, ability to successfully mentor students in research, and potential as a good departmental citizen, and (4) most current transcript, official or unofficial. Submission of a sample publication is optional. Evidence of teaching excellence is strongly encouraged.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received no later than October 24, 2014; however, applications will continue to be accepted until position is filled.
To apply, visit http://jobs.usm.edu/
Direct questions and any additional materials to Search Committee Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, Southern Miss students have collected seven Goldwater Scholarships, three Truman Scholarships and 10 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. Our Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of a select number of institutions in the nation accredited in art, dance, music and theatre, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at www.usm.edu.
Learn more about the department at www.usm.edu/esr.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.