The Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education (HALE) Program in the Department of Educational Administration in the College of Education at Michigan State University invites applications for two (2) tenure-track Assistant Professors to begin fall semester 2023. The HALE program currently offers three graduate programs: PhD in HALE (in person), MA in HALE (fully online), and MA in Student Affairs Administration (in person). We have proposed to launch an in-person EdD program in Equity Minded Leadership in Postsecondary Education. New colleagues can expect to teach in person and online across the programs.
Based on our commitment to preparing scholars and practitioners to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice in higher, adult, and lifelong education settings in the US and global contexts, we seek candidates who will join us as educators and engaged scholars using research and theory to address enduring and emerging challenges in education. Specifically, we seek to fill two positions, one generally in the “teaching, learning, and/or curriculum” category, and one in the “policy, finance, and/or governance” category from among the topical areas and institutional contexts listed here. In all areas we seek equity-minded, critical scholars who use innovative approaches to asking and answering questions that will make a difference in the world. We also invite candidates with global/comparative expertise in any of these topics.
- Higher education policy (institutional, state, national, or global)
- Higher education finance
- Postsecondary governance (US, global/comparative)
- Adult education and lifelong learning
- Postsecondary teaching and learning
- Discipline-based postsecondary education research (e.g., STEM or humanities education)
- Inclusive postsecondary curriculum and pedagogies
- Technologies of teaching and learning
- Community colleges, regional comprehensive universities, and/or urban institutions
- Minority-serving institutions (e.g., HBCUs, TCUs, AANAPISIs, HSIs, PBIs)
HALE faculty typically teach two courses per semester, advise master’s and doctoral students, and participate in the intellectual and organizational life of HALE, the department, college, university, and the field. Our new colleagues will be expected to establish and maintain a research agenda that advances diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice in higher, adult, and lifelong education settings in the US and/or global contexts. They will further be expected to pursue external funding to support research or outreach/engaged scholarship.
- Earned doctorate in higher education or another field with direct application in postsecondary education (degree conferred by August 15, 2023)
- Evidence of commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice in higher, adult, and lifelong education settings
- Evidence of potential for scholarly publication
- Experience teaching in a postsecondary setting, in in-person and/or a/synchronous online formats
- Experience working full time in a higher, adult, or lifelong education setting or related field (e.g., policy agency, education non-profit, workforce development, college access)
- Evidence of potential to receive external funding
To apply, please submit through the MSU HR portal (job 818753) [https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/512598/assistant-professortenure-system]
- A cover letter that includes: (a) relevant qualifications for the position (responding especially to the list of required and preferred qualifications), and (b) research and teaching experience and interests
- Statement of instructional philosophy
- Contact information for at least three (3) references
Application review will begin October 31, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
If you have any questions, please contact Search Committee chair Kristen Renn (firstname.lastname@example.org). Search committee: Micaela Flores, Dr. Chastity Gaither, Assistant Professor Jerome Graham, Professor Dongbin Kim, Assistant Professor Kenya Messer, Sanfeng Miao, and Professor Kristen Renn (chair).