The College of Education (COE) at the University of Houston (UH), a Carnegie designated Tier 1 Research University, seeks a dynamic leader to assume the position of Associate Dean for Research. The College is centrally located in one of the most diverse and vibrant metropolitan areas in the U.S., with access to the internationally renowned Texas Medical Center and the largest school district in Texas. A strong candidate for this position will have a demonstrated track record of successful peer-reviewed federal funding and a history of interdisciplinary collaboration, peer-mentorship, innovation and leadership. The Associate Dean for Research will be responsible for advancing the research culture in the COE while serving as a catalyst for the ongoing cutting-edge research that advances the educational, health, and quality of life experiences of local, state, national, and international communities.
Scope of Work:
- Advance the COE research mission of achieving greater local, state, national, and international prominence
- Facilitate targeted relationships with external funding agencies and community partners
- Provide leadership and oversight of the COE Research Office which includes pre- and post-award grant support
- Facilitate collaborations among researchers within/outside the COE
- Develop policies, initiatives, trainings, and mentoring opportunities aimed at increasing COE faculty research productivity and impact
- Develop mechanisms that position faculty to secure external funding for innovative research in anticipation of changing external funding priorities and trends
- Serve on the Dean’s Administrative Cabinet; collaborate with COE leadership; and interface with the UH Division of Research and other university offices
- Doctoral degree from an accredited university in a related field represented in the COE at UH (http://coe.uh.edu/academic-departments/index.php)
- Demonstrated history of serving as the principal investigator on externally funded, peer-reviewed, research grants (i.e., CDC, IES, NIH, NSF, etc.)
- Demonstrated history of innovation and leadership in advancing the research mission of an academic department or college
- Knowledge of policies and procedures associated with securing extramural funding from private foundations and federal agencies
- Demonstrated record of scholarship that merits a tenured faculty appointment as an associate or full professor
To apply, the following materials should be uploaded online at https://www.coe.uh.edu/search/ :
- A cover letter describing your (a) qualifications and interest in the position, (b) evidence of scholarly impact, (c) history of external peer-reviewed funding, and (d) vision of your role as the Associate Dean for Research
- Curriculum vitae
- Abstracts of grant-funded research projects
- Three letters of recommendation
This full-time, 11-month appointment, will begin no later than September 1, 2014 (flexible). The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience and will include benefits. Please contact Dr. Ezemenari M. Obasi (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 713-743-4698), Search Committee Chair, should you have any follow-up questions.
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action:
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.