Reporting to the Dean of the College, the Department Chair is the administrative officer of the department and serves as a member of the Dean’s administrative team. The Chair represents the department in all official communications and is responsible for the general direction of the work of the department; the quality and coordination of instruction; faculty workload assignment; the preparation of a budget and expenditure of departmental funds; the advisement of students who are majoring in programs within the department; annual faculty and staff evaluations; and the recommendation for appointment, promotion, tenure, dismissal, and salary increases for faculty and staff. The position is a 12-month tenure-track or tenured appointment and requires a terminal degree. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Earned doctorate in one of the department content areas or a closely related field
- Established record of teaching, scholarship, and service meriting appointment at the rank of associate professor or professor*
- Minimum of 5 years full-time college/university teaching experience
- Strong organizational, leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills to work effectively with colleagues, both in and out of the department, as well as public schools and community agencies
- Ability to contribute to a positive work environment in the department, college and university
- Experience with, or interest in, working in diverse academic and professional communities
*For appointment at the associate professor rank, minimum of 4 years full-time college or university teaching experience at the assistant professor rank is required along with a strong record of research and service with publications and presentations in professional venues.
For appointment at the professor rank, minimum of 5 years full-time college or university teaching experience at the associate professor rank is required along with a strong record of research and service with substantial publications and presentations in professional venues.
- Prior administrative experience
- Experience with program assessment and accreditation
- Experience with online education
- Experience in faculty governance, leadership, mentoring, and development
- Experience with securing external funding associated with a focused program of scholarship
- Experience with development activities
- Previous work in or with P-12 schools
How to apply:
Screening of applications begins October 1, 2012, and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is July 1, 2013. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications and applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Marlynn Griffin, Search Chair, Search #65405
Department of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Statesboro GA 30460-8144
Electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or http://coe.georgiasouthern.edu. Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Vice Provost.
Institution: Georgia Southern University
Location: Statesboro, GA
More details can be found at http://coe.georgiasouthern.edu/faculty/employment.