The School of Education at the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC) announces its search for the Vivian and Hymie Sosland Endowed Chair in Urban Education. The successful candidate will have the credentials required to hold a faculty appointment at the rank of associate or full professor in any of the School’s three academic divisions: Counseling & Educational Psychology; Educational Leadership, Policy and Foundations; Teacher Education and Curriculum Studies. The individual selected for the position will join a dedicated and collaborative group of faculty and staff.
The Sosland Endowed Chair will be an outstanding scholar in urban education, with a focus on the study of teaching and learning in P-12 education. The successful candidate will have an established record of external research funding (area of expertise is open) and will conduct an active program of funded research that can create synergies with P-12 schools, UMKC researchers and other partners in the educational community. There is a special interest in candidates with expertise in instructional design and technology, educational technology, learning sciences, and/or early childhood education. The candidate will also help support the implementation of a quality assurance and improvement plan within the teacher preparation program that utilizes data in a systematic, continuous, and innovative manner.
This is an exciting time to join the School of Education as the college is engaged in strategic planning, aligning the mission with the university’s strategic plan, and revitalizing the Urban Education Research Center (UERC) and the Institute for Urban Education. The UERC conducts research designed to create reliable, usable knowledge about education in urban areas. The School of Education and the UERC work collaboratively within the School, across the university and in conjunction with local partners and communities. Last year, the doctoral program in counseling psychology was recently re-accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) for ten years. This fall, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) granted the School national accreditation at the initial licensure-level for seven years. The School of Education has been NCATE-accredited since 1961 and serves as a longstanding institutional partner to school districts and community agencies across the metropolitan area of Kansas City.
- Conduct research that advances the field of teaching and learning in P-12 education
- Secure external research funding
- Advise and mentor students
- Serve on dissertation committees
- Teach courses in areas of expertise
- Provide service to the division, school, and university
- Doctoral degree in a field that meets academic credentials for the position in one of the three
- Exemplary record of scholarship in areas of expertise
- Record of external research funding
- Experience teaching in a college/university setting
- Experience advising graduate students and serving on dissertations
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to social justice and urban issues
- Record of research in instructional design and technology, educational technology, learning
- sciences, and/or early childhood education
- Experience teaching or providing professional services in diverse urban communities and
- Experience establishing relationships with external partners and schools
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting the University Missouri-Kansas City in the search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. For full consideration, materials should be provided by February 10, 2019. Application materials, based on the vacancy announcement, (1) cover letter detailing interest in the position; (2) curriculum vitae; and (3) the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of five references.
Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to:
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher
Kevin Bennett. Senior Search Consultant
42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, FL 32550
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor – Human Resources at 816-235-1621. To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Affirmative Action at 816-235-1323.