Duolingo is venturing into teaching math! Our strengths lie in building educational apps that are well grounded in learning science and keep learners motivated — come join us to help build a new Duolingo math app that promotes student growth and is fun to use!
We are looking for an expert in math education whose skill set combines both theoretical knowledge of relevant learning science research and hands-on classroom experience. You will join a small cross-functional team and together you will lay the foundation for the new math product, innovating through experimentation and fast product iterations. We are looking for someone who is motivated by this type of environment and excited to help us deliver the very best in mathematics education.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to develop a research-informed app for teaching math that is fun, fast-paced, and emphasizes “learning by doing”
- Ensure that the app features are well-grounded in learning science by translating research findings into concrete ideas that can be applied within the Duolingo product requirements
- Take the lead on initial curriculum development, including recruiting and working with external subject matter experts as needed
- Provide hands-on support with any ad-hoc tasks that would benefit from a learning-expert perspective, such as user research or data analyses assessing user learning outcomes
- Research expertise. You are knowledgeable about research at the intersection of psychology and education that applies to math learning and teaching, especially for younger students (3rd-8th grade).
- Teaching experience. You have experience teaching K-12 level mathematics, know what math products are used in classrooms today, and are familiar with the Common Core Mathematics Standards.
- Creativity and applied focus. You can think outside the box about how to effectively apply your knowledge about math learning and teaching in the context of developing an engaging educational app.
- Flexible mindset. You are open-minded and get inspired by differing perspectives. You are able to quickly adapt your proposed solutions to accommodate competing priorities.
- Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ph.D. in mathematics education, educational psychology, learning sciences, cognitive science, or a related field
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to New York, NY
Exceptional Candidates Will Have…
- Experience working in industry, especially in educational technology
- Substantial experience with math education for younger students (3rd-8th grade) (e.g., via research, teaching, or curriculum development)
Learn more—and find application instructions—at the full position announcement here.