The School of Education at Virginia Commonwealth University is seeking to hire a postdoctoral researcher.
This postdoctoral researcher position will contribute to ongoing collaboration among scholars in educational psychology, science education, and K12 educators on two NSF projects. These projects are focused on partnering with science teachers and educators to create equitable access to science learning in diverse classrooms at the middle school (see CAREER Science Discourse project description) and elementary (see DRK12 SCOPP project description) levels.
The prospective postdoctoral researcher will focus on scholarship (peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations, reports to K12 stakeholders) and lead research efforts to examine:
- Equitable classroom discourse practices that support students’ engagement in science talk
- How students’ funds of knowledge can be integrated with the science practices and disciplinary ideas in grades 3 to 8
- How intra and interpersonal factors and processes work together to facilitate students’ motivation in science talk and learning outcomes
In addition, the postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for:
- Co-developing and facilitation of professional learning (summer PD, lesson study teams)
- Managing data collection and organization, including large data sets
- Development of science discourse tools for classroom use
- Mentoring graduate students and research assistants
- Other products that build upon the applicant’s emerging program of research
- PhD in educational psychology, education, learning sciences, science education or relevant field
- Record of scholarly publications and presentations on topics related to science teaching and learning, student discourse as a function of learning, student motivation and engagement, and/or equity in STEM
- Exceptional mixed methods and/or quantitative skills
- Strong interest in school and classroom-based research
- Exceptional project management skills
- Experience work with K12 stakeholders on university-school partnership projects
- Demonstrated work in advancing access, equity, and quality of education
- Prior work in K12 public education
- Experience pursuing external funding
- Experience communicating with academic and practitioner audiences
For best consideration, please submit all application materials by January 31, 2021 using this link. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For position inquiries, please contact Dr. Christine Bae at email@example.com.