Reports to: Manager, Psychometrics & Research
This position is responsible for all activities related to the accurate and timely administration of American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) examinations, including the In-Training Examinations, the BASIC & ADVANCED Examinations, the Part 1 Examination, the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (MOCA) Examinations (Winter and Summer), and the annual subspecialty examinations for Critical Care Medicine, Pain Medicine, Pediatric Anesthesiology, Hospice & Palliative Medicine and Sleep Medicine. The Psychometrician is also responsible for the accurate and timely reporting of scores to examinees after every examination administration. This position requires strong quantitative analytical and organizational skills, in- depth knowledge of ABA policies and procedures, extreme accuracy and strict attention to detail, and strong written and oral communication skills. This position requires working with multiple other departments within the ABA as well as working with external vendors, including but not limited to our test delivery vendor, scoring vendor, data security vendor, and others. This position also works closely with the test development department to ensure that examinations are built with high validity, reliability, and defensibility and supports the research activities of the Research Committee.
Ph.D. in psychometrics, educational measurement, educational psychology or other closely related quantitative field.
- Facility with psychometric methods, statistical procedures, and their applications, particularly item response theory, multi-facet Rasch modeling, equating, and scaling.
- Working knowledge of SPSS or SAS.
- Knowledge of IRT software, equating software, and other key psychometric packages ishighly desirable.
- Experience using SQL to query relational database is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills, excellent interpersonal skills, including theability to work closely and successfully with individuals from a variety of professional andeducational background.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate a commitment to service and continually exhibit a customer service culture.
- Demonstrate dependability for own actions and their consequences, and for the performance of functions and duties of the ABA.
- Minimum of two years of experience in a state or national testing program, preferably in the medical education field.
- Project management experience highly desired.
- Knowledge of or experience with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) a plus.
- Knowledge of or experience with American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) a plus.
- Performs operational psychometric analysis, scoring, and reporting for the Part 2 Examination (Standard Oral Examination) and Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), In-Training Examination – International, In-Training Examination – Pain Medicine, and other examinations as needed.
- Conducts standard setting studies for the ABA examinations.
- Coordinates all scoring, reporting, documentation and psychometric activities for ABA examinations and assessment instruments.
- Provides expertise in the exam development and psychometric activities in general.
2. Examination Administration.
- Conducts the exam registration and scheduling processes (BioReg) for In-Training Examinations, BASIC and ADVANCED Examinations, Part 1 Examination, MOCA examinations, and Subspecialty examinations in Critical Care Medicine, Pain Medicine, and Pediatric Anesthesiology.
- Coordinates with other medical specialty boards (American Board of Emergency Medicine, American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabitation, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, etc.) for their BioReg files for the ABA sponsored exams.
- Conducts the exam registration and scheduling processes (BioReg) for subspecialty examinations in Hospice & Palliative Medicine and Sleep Medicine, sponsored by other medical specialty board.
- Conducts the exam scores verification and reporting processes (Load Scores) for all the above ABA examinations.
- Performs all the other services as needed to ensure successful administration of all the above ABA examinations.
- Supports the research efforts of the Board by identifying data needs of research projects, performing statistical analysis, and writing up publications.
- Supports the data reporting needs of the Board.
- Contributes research ideas to support program development and the mission of the Board.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds on occasion.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Salary Range: $72,000-$77,000 annually