Incoming and current students in School of Education at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill are invited to apply for a graduate assistantship position to contribute to a multi-year study focused on studying the implementation of a coaching model (Holistic Individualized Coaching – HIC) designing to improve teachers’ mathematical practices and well-being. The goals of this project are to: 1) evaluate the effectiveness of an individualized coaching model on the instructional practices and well-being of teachers of mathematics; 2) determine the design features of the coaching model that psychological, affective, and cognitive dimensions of teaching and how they support teacher change and well-being; and 3) develop the products essential for scaling the coaching model.
Terms of Employment
- The period of Employment is a 9 month initial appointment beginning in August 2021
- Possibility of extension for an additional two (2) years depending on continued interest, performance, and available funding.
- Research Assistants are expected to work twenty (20) hours per week on average.
- $15,700/9-month contract
- Tuition remission for both the Fall and Spring
- Graduate student health insurance.
- Eligibility for coverage of tuition and fees are outlined by the UNC-CH Graduate School.
- Leave time to be discussed and planned with supervisor
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Complete orientation of the overall project goals and on the HIC approach for supporting teachers of mathematics
- Contribute to the development, refinement and implementation of the HIC activities and overall project approach
- Participate in project research including instrument development, qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, and overall project management
- Facilitate HIC activities designed to support teachers of mathematics
- Provide support in the maintenance of project databases
- Participate in professional presentations and workshops at state, regional, and national conferences of relevant professional organizations focused on a wide variety of foundational research and development issues related to developing sustainable approaches to supporting teachers of mathematics
- Contribute to the authorship of conference proposals and manuscripts based on the project’s research and development work and findings
Experience and Skills:
Completion of a Bachelors degree. Teaching experience in K-12 classrooms. Enrolled in a program in the School of Education or an incoming student to one the programs. Strong background in mathematics education. Commitment to issues of equity and social justice specifically related to students of color.
To be considered for this Research Assistantship students must submit:
- A completed application to a program in the School of Education filed with the Graduate School at UNC
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of reference, one of which should be from a university faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work
- A personal statement discussing the student’s academic and professional goals and commitment to issues of equity and social justice specifically related to students of color.
Deadline: January 30, 2021
Application materials should be submitted to Pavneet Kaur Bharaj firstname.lastname@example.org. In your submission, please include the title of the position in the subject field. For questions about this assistantship, please contact Dionne Cross Francis, email@example.com.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of age, color, creed, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.