The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), a nonprofit organization based in Chicago, is dedicated to advancing the science and practice of school-based social and emotional learning (SEL). CASEL’s mission is to make social and emotional learning an integral part of education from preschool through high school. CASEL is now poised to dramatically expand its efforts and its organization with committed and growing philanthropic funding and a new strategic plan.
CASEL has a long history as a national collaborative, and is in a period of growth. The staff supports the increased activities of the Board of Directors and various national working and advisory groups, manages research projects, provides training and technical assistance, develops new tools and methods for SEL implementation, and disseminates information from the field. The current work environment is fluid and fast-moving. For more information about our work, please visit: www.casel.org.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Senior Scientist and Director of the Collaborating States Initiatives, CASEL is seeking an individual to support CASEL’s Collaborating States Initiative, including working with the senior scientist to identify opportunities in states to support standards, policies, and guidance to support statewide implementation of SEL, to support CASEL’s Program Reviews of evidence-based programs, and to support development of written products that support CASEL’s priorities.
Specific tasks related to each of these priorities are:
1. In coordination with the senior scientist, plan and execute a variety of tasks related to the Collaborating States Initiative, including:
- Organize and support a thriving google community.
- Organize and maintain data base of documents and other information related to state policies, standards, and guidance in social and emotional learning (SEL).
- Develop, coordinate and manage ongoing communications with Collaborating States Initiative partners, including emails, social media, and as part of google community.
- Coordinate scheduling of, and preparation for conference calls with national advisory board members and state teams.
- Develop, organize and maintain data base of state contacts.
- In coordination with senior scientist, conduct policy scans, reviews and content analyses of state standards across the country in order to continually update the CASEL State Scorecard Project.
- Develop and conduct interviews and otherwise gather information as needed to develop state stories for inclusion on the CASEL state policy webpage.
- Help summarize and present information regarding state policies, standards and guidance in SEL, for presentations and reports.
- Support development of reports and grant proposals.
- Help organize, participate in, and otherwise support meetings with community of practice including national advisors and state teams.
- In coordination with senior scientist, develop and coordinate communications with state teams, including emails and social media on behalf of director.
- In coordination with the senior scientist and CASEL practice staff, support the Collaborating States Initiative alignment with the Collaborating Districts Initiative
2. In coordination with senior scientist, plan and execute a variety of tasks related to CASEL’s program reviews:
- Support tasks of CASEL’s program review.
- Work with the senior scientist to develop briefs, reports, proposals and presentations on findings from CASEL’s program reviews.
- Help the senior scientist to develop, refine and improve program review tools and products, including those with a focus on contemplative education.
- Support the Senior Scientist in Developing Written Products related to CASEL priorities
- Work with the senior scientist in reviewing and developing CASEL webpages and other communications
- Work with the senior scientist in developing content for messaging and strategic communications.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as needed.
- Masters or doctoral degree in Psychology, Education, or related field required.
- A minimum of five years of experience with projects related to the social behavioral sciences or education.
- Experience in project management is required.
- Project management experience and strong writing skills are required, as are strong leadership, organizational and communication skills.
- Experience with Google communities a plus.
- Experience with leveraging digital tools and emerging technology to maximize productivity and efficient communication is strongly preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets are required.
- Knowledge of the field of social and emotional learning is important.
CASEL seeks to maintain compensation packages competitive within the nonprofit and education sectors, commensurate with experience.
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email message. We regret that we will not be able to respond to phone inquiries about this position.
The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning is an equal opportunity employer. CASEL evaluates applicants for employment on the basis of qualifications, merit and work-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, pregnancy, medical condition, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law. CASEL employs and values a diverse work environment.