The Spencer Foundation seeks to add a creative and forward-looking colleague to its program team. The Foundation’s purpose is to foster the development of new knowledge about education with the aim of educational improvement. We seek an individual who can add to our capacity to act strategically in fashioning programs of inquiry in education as well as in promoting more effective communication and networking among those who develop and use knowledge in education.
The successful candidate must be capable of identifying strategic opportunities; recruiting researchers and policy analysts to conduct the work; organizing the review and evaluation of various grant proposals and applications; reviewing and responding to grant reports and related correspondence; facilitating review committee meetings and managing an extensive external peer review process. Duties also include administrative work related to the management of Foundation programs and program staff, the collection and analysis of data pertaining to program operations, and the preparation of reports for the Foundation’s executive team and for its Board.
In addition, program staff are entitled and encouraged to participate in the Foundation’s research time program that permits them to devote up to 20% of the workweek to their own research.
The Senior Program Officer position entails a four-year contract that is eligible for a one-time renewal.
• A PhD, EdD or other comparable graduate/professional degree with substantial concentration in education or a related social science field is preferred.
• Experience in a leadership role requiring collaboration within an organization, as well as a demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy.
• Evidence of continued engagement with scholarly work in her/his field.
• Evidence of strong research and analytic skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and competing demands and to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills.
Salary is dependent upon experience. The Spencer Foundation has excellent benefits, including TIAA/CREF. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Send a letter of interest and current resume by November 30, 2013 to:
Director of Personnel
The Spencer Foundation
625 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60611