The Senior Editor, Magination Press is responsible for acquiring new children and teen books and companion resources for adults and for directly shaping these products to fit within market-directed goals of MP, the overall strategy of APA Books, and with the mission of APA. The Senior Editor works with collaboratively with psychologists, authors, literary agents, and outside partners to acquire new products and to develop new book on trend for the current marketplace to ensure that each new title and the overall product line enhance APA’s reputation for quality and contribute to the financial health of the organization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, psychology, education or related field required
- Either a graduate degree in psychology with supporting editorial experience or at least five years of editorial book publishing experience with a children’s or adult trade publisher, independent press, or literary agency including significant experience development editing, copyediting, and proofreading as well as a working understanding of layout, design, art direction, and four-color production.
- Knowledge of and interest in psychology, mental health, and wellness.
- Knowledge of editorial processes and industry standards / high-quality children’s and teen book market and audience needs as well as emerging trends and hot topics. Conceptual understanding of bibliotherapy and self-help book market as well as understanding of the field of child (developmental) psychology desired.
- Ability to build and maintain a wide network of authors and psychologists to consult and partner with. Ability to persuade and to act with diplomacy and tact.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytic abilities to be able to assess proposals, editorial advisory board reviews, and sales figures; prepare pro forma P&Ls; monitor trends; and generate ideas to meet market needs.
Computer Skills Required:
- Advanced user of Microsoft Word (and Office), Excel, PowerPoint
- Basic understanding of Adobe InDesign, Acrobat, and Photoshop
- Familiarity with PDF mark-up and digital proofing processes, online printer soft-proof systems, cloud-based file transfer sites (eg., printer-based FTP sites, DropBox, HighTail)
- Responsible for strategic planning and front-list product line development in designated signing area and for contributing to the overall strategy for Magination Press. Continually consults with psychologists, librarians, customers, and other experts to understand children and parent book market needs and dynamics, revising the strategic editorial plan as required or requested.
- Collaborates with Editorial Director to ensure front-list product line supports year-over-year growth both in revenue and strategic plan.
- Networks and builds relationships with leading psychologists, authors, and agents to identify to write, edit, or review books.
- Acquires new books products by directly working with psychologist, authors, agents and develops new book concepts on trend for the current marketplace.
- Critically evaluates book manuscripts and proposals for quality, financial viability, and consistency with strategic editorial plan.
- Collaborates with staff and freelance editors to complete book production.
- Works closely with Marketing and Sales teams to ensure excellent author relations and to meet departmental or organizational goals.
- Directs art and design team collaboratively to determine illustrative and design needs for book to ensure the art enhances salability of the book.
- Responsible for cover design development and collaborates with art and design team as well as Marketing and Sales to conceptualize and finalize cover, title, book data, and meta data while coordinating editorial plans and production schedules to bring product to market in a timely manner.
- Represents Magination Press and APA with psychologists, in the publishing industry, with customers, and others at meetings, conferences and association visits.
- Executes each responsibility in a financially-sound, quality-minded, ethical, and timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Location: Position is on-site in Washington, DC. No relocation authorized.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary expectations. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.