The Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) invites applications for tenure-track Faculty positions in the Faculty of Psychology and Education.
Starting Date: September 1st, 2017
Deadline for Applications: November 15th, 2016
- Teacher Education and Training – Full-time Position
- Education and learning of pupils with special educational needs – Part-time position (0,5 FTE)
These positions constitute an exciting opportunity for educationists or psychologists committed to excellence in research and teaching to join a strong team of psychologists, educationists and speech therapists at the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL), based at Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.
We seek candidates who have the ability to make a significant contribution to the Faculty of Psychology and Education (PSP) and the Psychological Science Research Institute (IPSY) and who have the potential to develop further both their own profile and that of the University to achieve enhanced national and international recognition.
Candidates should have a promising program of research and a commitment to seek external funding. More senior candidates should have an established program of research and a track record in securing external funding. All candidates should have a commitment to excel in teaching (undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate), and an interest in working collaboratively with other faculty, students and staff.
Teacher Education and Training (Full-time position) – PSP/IPSY
The successful candidate will carry out research in the field of teacher education. This research can carry both the initial education of teachers and professional development of teachers, and/or devices of support toward teachers at different stages of their career.
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments in education field (Methodology in teacher education and training, Pedagogical practices and devices in education, Learning psychology…), within the various degree programs organised by the Faculty, in particular in the Master in educational Sciences, as well as in pre-service and in-service teacher training programs.
The successful candidate will develop collaborations with professionals in school field and professional community in the field of education. A professional experience in training teacher is an additional asset.
Education and learning of pupils with special educational needs (Part-time position – 0,5 EFT) – PSP/IPSY
The successful candidate will operate research and teaching in the field of education and learning of pupils with special educational needs.
This research will investigate the various forms of supports toward pupils with special educational needs, in education systems, including both organizational and pedagogical supports, and their effects.
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments in education field (School curriculum and inclusion, specific interventions adapted to the pupils at risk…), within the various degree programs organised by the Faculty, in particular in the Master in educational Sciences.
The successful candidate will develop collaborations with professionals in school field and professional community in the field of education. A professional experience in this domain is an additional asset.
Tasks: The applicant will
- be responsible for teaching courses at all the study levels (i.e. undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate), as well as in programs of continuing education;
- supervise the final diploma work (i.e. master thesis) of undergraduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programs;
- contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence ;
- contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Qualifications: the applicant must have
- a PhD degree in education or psychology, or equivalent qualifications;
- a significant scientific record proven by international publications;
- either studied abroad for an extensive period or had substantial experience outside UCL;
- experience in and aptitude for teaching at university level;
- the capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings in their courses;
- creativity and must be open to pedagogic innovation and interdisciplinary work;
- the capacities required to undertake academic research at a high level and to advise, or lead, a research team;
- a good knowledge of both spoken and written French. If this is not the case, the applicant should be willing to learn French within 2 years. Fluency in English and other languages is an additional advantage;
- the capacity to teach in French and in a second language.
Useful information for international candidates:
- The “Louvain International Desk” provides legal, administrative and practical information about working and living in Belgium;
- The university provides a range of French language training courses;
- Teaching is mainly in French but some courses can be taught in English;
- English can be used for most research activities (including most funding applications)
- Louvain-La-Neuve has very good transport connections to Brussels and is within commuting distance;
- Furthermore, the university contributes to the international removal costs, subsidies French language training courses, provides up to € 10,000 as starting grant for new academic members.
Job application :
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences (PSP)
Prof. Nathalie NADER-GROSBOIS –dean – email@example.com
Psychological Sciences Research Institute (IPSY)
Prof. Mauro PESENTI – President IPSY– firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Vincent DUPRIEZ, email@example.com – GIRSEF President, School of Education and Training